We know that the recent months have been very challenging at many levels and recognize that each person’s experience, emotions, thoughts, and feelings about everything relating to COVID varies greatly. But what has remained consistent are the reports we hear from our mentors, demonstrating their earnest desire, creativity and perseverance to support our kids in whatever way possible. We have been massively encouraged by their diligent efforts to deepen relationship during such a trying time!
As we move into the winter months we offer some additional ideas below. To all our mentors: We’d love to hear any ideas you have so please share in your mentor logs or email us!
Winter Outing Ideas:
- Keep a small bag of activities in your car that you can do with your mentee at a covered park table. Coloring books, colored pencils, and old maid card game are a few ideas. You can even keep corn starch, a water bottle, and a bowl in your car for an impromptu outing of making oobleck together.
- Contact your Program Coordinator about receiving donated books from Faithful Friends to read with your mentee.
- Some libraries are still open. Multnomah County Library are open for hold pickup. Cedar Mill Library, Washington County Library, and a few other libraries in Beaverton and Tigard/ Tualatin area are open as well.
- Paint nice messages on rocks under a covered park picnic table and hide them around the park for someone to find.
- Do one of these or these sidewalk chalk games under a covered area with your mentee.
- GoNoodle indoor recess is a great resource to get out some winters jitters.
- Dobble card game was recommended by a mentor as a very entertaining game to play.
- Virtual Bingo
- Skate park
- Virtual get to know each other drawing game. Have paper and a drawing utensil and ask your mentee to draw something they did this week. You do the same. Once you are both done drawing, present your pictures. Then let your mentee pick the next thing to draw. Examples could be: Draw your favorite animal, draw your favorite activity, draw what you had for breakfast etc. This is a great way to get to know your mentee if they are not too talkative.
- Giving books provided by Faithful Friends as Christmas gifts to your mentee and their siblings
- Mentors please inform Faithful Friends if there is a need in the family
- Giving trees
- Watch the Christmas Ships. Links to schedules found here.
- ZooLights or Winter Wonderland at the Portland International Raceway
- Make Christmas Cookies, Gingerbread houses (Trader Joes has kits), or Decorate Ornaments
- Christmas craft ideas for kids
- GoNoodle Maraca Turkey video
- Lightopia at Hillsboro stadium drive through lights
- Cut down a tree with your mentee
Apps / Educational phone or tablet games
- Khan Academy App –Free to download (for 4+ so look for age appropriate)
- ABC Mouse (cost involved)
- GoNoodle (Free website) way to get kids active
Reopening Phase 1 Activities:
- Bring some chalk on a walk and color with chalk as you go
- Create an obstacle course
- Draw hopscotch
- Play “I Spy” while on a walk
- Create a scavenger hunt that you can participate in while on a walk. Here is an example
- Bring some gardening materials and plant some flowers or vegetables
- Go on a bike ride in neighborhood
- Find a neighborhood library and donate a book or get a book. Type in your zip code to find the ones in your neighborhood- Little Free Libraries
- Walk to a park (frisbee, tennis, basketball, cards)
- Check out the Free Lunch program at Portland Parks activities
- Have a picnic in your yard, your mentee’s yard/complex playground, or at a park
- Have a water balloon fight
- Drop off a pizza at your mentees house and then video chat while eating from your own homes
- Drop off ingredients and make the same meal over video together
- Mail some coloring pages to your mentee and then color them together over video chat
- Mail a letter to your mentee and include materials for them to write you one back
- Have a “talent show” over video chat
- Have “show and tell” over video chat
- Play pictionary on Zoom (there is a whiteboard function for drawing and here is a website that generates pictionary words for you).
- Play charades over video chat
- Play 20 Questions over video chat
- Have a dance party over video chat
- Play Scattegories over video. Here is a website you can use to play.
- Watch an online video together to learn a skill (like juggling!)
- Learn a magic trick together over video chat